Planning & Development
The Planning and Development department evaluates development proposals, manages growth, and proactively explores new planning and design initiatives and processes that move Airdrie towards a healthy, safe and sustainable future.
The department provides a wide range of services which guide the development and implementation of the City's policies. These include development review and the preparation and maintenance of the City's Municipal Development Plan (MDP) and Land Use Bylaw (LUB), which form the basis for guiding development within the city. The department also provides the following services:
- AirdrieONE Sustainability: develop plan and oversee implementation, indicator development and monitoring.
- Annexation & growth management: coordinate annexation processes; assess growth, demographic and development trends; assess the fiscal implications of growth and plan for future growth.
- Development review: evaluate development proposals which includes:
- processing plot plans
- certificates of compliance
- tenancy permits
- development permits
- subdivision applications
- Land Use Bylaw (zoning) and City Plan amendments
- review against Community Area Structure Plans and Neighbourhood Structure Plans
- New development civic addressing
- Policy development & master planning: oversee the preparation and implementation of statutory land use plans and policies, including the Municipal Development Plan and Area Structure Plans.
- Plan implementation & regulation: update and align the Land Use Bylaw and related regulations and guidelines; enforce the Land Use Bylaw and ensure that development is completed according to city standards to maintain a safe and attractive community.
- Planning education: educate Council, the Municipal Planning Commission and other advisory bodies with regards to planning practice and process and legislative requirements.
- Community & stakeholder engagement: educates, informs and involves the public and stakeholders in planning matters; continually seeks feedback from stakeholders in order to provide decision-makers with informed advice.
- Corporate & community sustainability: responsible for coordinating corporate initiatives, hosting events and education programs, building awareness and providing input into plans, policies and corporate practices.
- Inter-municipal planning: active partner in joint planning with Rocky View County and the Calgary Regional Partnership; promotes co-operation on inter-municipal and regional planning matters.
Prior to any new development commencing, City Planners review development proposals for compliance with these plans, policies and regulations. After planning reviews the proposal, Engineering Services reviews the technical components related to construction. These elements include servicing and drainage components.
Once Planning has provided development approval, Building Inspections reviews the building plans to ensure they have met building and fire code requirements. All structures are also inspected for safety and quality of construction.
Planning & Development
400 Main Street SE
Airdrie, AB T4B 3C3