June 3, 2014 - Carbon monoxide incident - AFD response details

June 4, 2014 / For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 at 5:37 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm at the Crown Shores Condo located at #700 Willowbrook Road NW, Airdrie.

On arrival, firefighters gained access into the four story condominium complex and immediately began to use monitoring equipment to determine the air quality within the building. Initial CO readings throughout all floors were at a dangerously elevated level of 110 parts per million (ppm). Firefighters immediately activated the in-house emergency alarm system to support rapid evacuation of all residents.

The AFD Command Officer received additional information that a contracted maintenance crew had been performing pressure washing of the walls and floors of the underground parkade. Portable generators and vehicles required to complete the task were left idling in the area of the buildings air intake for the HVAC system which allowed carbon monoxide to enter into the building. CO readings in the parkade level exceeded 180 ppm.

One worker required medical assistance on scene and was later transported to hospital in stable condition by AHS paramedics. There were no other injuries to report.

Evacuees remained safely at street level for approximately 90 minutes as fans and natural ventilation were used to clear CO from all floors of the complex. Firefighters, supported by an ATCO Gas emergency response crew, continued to monitor air quality and once the area was deemed safe residents were allowed to return to their homes.

There were four pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters on scene.

The Airdrie Fire Department reminds everyone to learn more about the potential dangers of carbon monoxide in the home. Every residence should have a working CO alarm on every floor of the home where people sleep within close proximity of bedrooms.

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

Tips on carbon monoxide safety 

 

Contact us


Media relations