July 3, 2014 barbeque fire - AFD response details
July 7, 2014 / For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 5:45 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located at #772 Coopers Drive SW.
On arrival fire crews were met by the homeowner who stated that a fire had occurred in her barbeque located on the back deck which was attached to the home. She shared that she had only left the barbeque unattended for few minutes while she went inside and that a concerned neighbour raised the alarm.
The resident opened the patio door to the deck and found flames shooting out from the bottom and under the lid of the barbeque. She quickly took her home fire extinguisher and efficiently extinguished the fire while shutting off the propane supply. Her quick and knowledgeable actions prevented the incident from escalating.
The barbeque was significantly damaged while exposed siding on the home suffered slight heat exposure. Fire fighters checked the immediate area for further fire extension.
There were no injuries to report.
There were five pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters on scene.
The Airdrie Fire Department reminds all residents to be extremely careful and attentive when using outdoor cooking appliances. Be sure to never leave barbeques or other cookers unattended. Ensure that adequate space is provided between the cooking appliance and any vulnerable exposures such as vinyl siding and wooden fences.
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722
I want to...
- Complete my census
- Apply for
- Pay for
- Register or Sign up for
- Subscribe to
- AirdrieONE Sustainability Plan
- Business directory
- Bylaws & policies
- Community engagement
- Community events calendar
- Council info & meetings
- Council's strategic priorities
- Election Information
- Fees & rates
- Legal Land Description
- News releases
- Photo gallery
- Public notices
- Vision, mission & values