Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Carbon Monoxide (CO) Incident

October 30, 2914

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 1:35 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to a possible carbon monoxide (CO) incident at 2367 Morris Crescent SE. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas often referred to as “The Silent Killer” because you cannot see it, touch it or smell it.

The father of the family woke in the night not feeling well and quickly determined that his wife and three children were also feeling sick. The father called 911 for assistance and was told by the dispatcher that carbon monoxide poisoning may be involved and that all residents should leave the home.

When emergency crews arrived they found all occupants outside and complaining of feeling ill.

Firefighters entered the home to monitor air quality and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide throughout the residence with the highest reading of 600 parts per million (ppm)in the basement level. Readings of 600 ppm in an average healthy adult may cause headache, nausea, and dizziness after 45 minutes with possible collapse and unconsciousness after one hour of exposure.

Emergency medical personnel assessed, treated and transported all five family members to the hospital. Three pets were also safely removed from the home by firefighters.

On thorough investigation by fire crews and a gas crew, the cause of the incident was determined to be a faulty boiler unit located in the basement. Gas to the unit was shut off until repairs can be completed. Please remember that all gas appliances in the home require annual and ongoing maintenance.

There were no working CO detectors in the home. All families should ensure that they have a working carbon monoxide detector on every level of their home where people sleep.

Two pieces of apparatus and six firefighters were on scene.

- 30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations