November 13, 2014 - Carbon monoxide incident - AFD response details

November 13, 2014 / For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 1:16 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a possible carbon monoxide incident located at #221 - 2nd Avenue NE. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas often referred to as “The Silent Killer” because you cannot see it, touch it or smell it.

When emergency crews arrived at the two-story residence they found that all occupants had evacuated the home. The home owner told crews that they were warned of a possible carbon monoxide hazard by the home’s carbon monoxide detector.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered to monitor air quality and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide throughout the residence with the highest reading of 300 parts per million (ppm) found in a lower storage level. Readings of 300 ppm in an average healthy adult may cause headache and nausea after one to two hours of exposure.

On thorough investigation by fire crews and the gas company, the cause of the incident was determined to be an older gas furnace which was not functioning properly or efficiently. Gas to the unit was shut off until repairs can be completed.

Firefighters were able to eventually vent the confined space and further air quality readings were taken. The residents were allowed to return to their home after conditions had been confirmed to be safe.

There were no injuries to report.

Two pieces of apparatus and five firefighters were on scene.

The Airdrie Fire Department reminds residents to ensure annual and ongoing maintenance e of all gas burning appliances. Carbon monoxide detectors should be located on every floor where people sleep within 3-5 meters of sleeping quarters.

-30-

Media contact:

Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

Contact us


Media relations