April 7, 2015 Restaurant kitchen fire - AFD response details
April 8, 2015 / For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Tuesday, April 7 at 11:53 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a fire in the kitchen area of a fast-food restaurant located in the #100 Block of East Lake Crescent NE.
Fire crews arrived at the scene to find that all employees and restaurant patrons had safely self-evacuated to the parking lot.
Upon initial scene size up it was determined that a fire had occurred in an appliance used for deep frying. Kitchen staff quickly used a portable fire extinguisher to extinguish the blaze and limit further damage.
Firefighters completed a thorough overhaul of the immediate area checking for possible fire extension. The restaurant was then ventilated and air quality was monitored. Once the fire department had completed their work and the area was deemed safe the building was turned over to the restaurant manager.
The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire to be mechanical failure of a cooking appliance. Damage estimates have been placed at approximately $5,000.
There were no injuries to report.
Five pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene.
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722
I want to...
- Complete my census
- Apply for
- Pay for
- Register or Sign up for
- Subscribe to
- AirdrieONE Sustainability Plan
- Business directory
- Bylaws & policies
- Community engagement
- Community events calendar
- Council info & meetings
- Council's strategic priorities
- Election Information
- Fees & rates
- Legal Land Description
- News releases
- Photo gallery
- Public notices
- Vision, mission & values