July 12, 2015 - Weather related incidents

July 13, 2015 / For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Sunday, July 12, the Airdrie Fire Department responded to numerous weather related incidents reported throughout the city. The active and wet weather which swept through the community early Sunday morning was responsible for two lightning strikes and temporary power outages.

The first lightning strike occurred at 9:30 a.m. hitting a two-story home located in the #1000 Block of Coopers Drive SW. The hit did not cause a fire within the residence but the lightning did damage a portion of the interior wiring and breaker panel. An electrician was requested to attend the scene in order to assess the damage. There were no injuries to report. Four pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters were on scene.

A second lightning strike was reported at Township Road #264 - 8th Street SW. Fire crews arrived to find a wooden power pole had been hit earlier in the day but damage went unnoticed until a passerby raised the alarm at 6:15 p.m. The pole had been slowly smoldering for hours and now visible burning embers could be seen dropping to the ground. Fortis was requested to attend the incident while firefighters cordoned off and controlled traffic in the immediate area.

Fire crews also responded to two elevator related incidents throughout the day. The first occurred at 2:28 p.m. in a four story senior’s residence located in the #300 Block of 1st Avenue NW. When firefighters arrived they found a resident stranded between the third and fourth floors of the complex. The person was complaining of being warm but was in good condition and spirits. An elevator technician arrived on scene to assist and after approximately 25 minutes the resident was safely removed. The cause of the stalled elevator remains under investigation.

The second elevator incident occurred at 7:28 p.m. in a multi-story residential complex in the 600 Block of 8th Street SW. A temporary power surge in the building caused an elevator car to stall, stranding people inside for approximately 15 minutes. Eventually the elevator corrected itself and went back into service prior to the arrival of the fire department. All those involved were able to exit the car safely and no injuries were reported. The cause of this elevator service disruption remains under investigation.


Media contact:

Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
Airdrie Fire Department
403.948.8800 ext.7612


Contact us

Media relations