January 28, 2016 - CO incident

January 29, 2016

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 1 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a possible carbon monoxide(CO) incident located in the 1000 block of 8 Street NW. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas often referred to as “The Silent Killer” because you cannot see it, touch it or smell it.

When emergency crews arrived at the multi-family residence block they found that the occupants with the carbon monoxide alarm had evacuated the home. Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered to monitor air quality and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide throughout the residence with the highest reading of 18 parts per million (ppm) found on the upper level.

The source of the CO could not be located in the original residence; therefore adjacent residences were checked and found to have varying levels of carbon monoxide. Upon thorough investigation by fire crews and the gas company, the cause of the incident was determined to be inappropriate use of a charcoal BBQ as a heat source in an adjacent home. The BBQ was found still off-gassing at 1000ppm outside the home.

“We really want people to understand the serious consequences that can occur from using unauthorized equipment as a heat source inside an enclosed space,” says Deputy Chief Garth Rabel. “

Eight people were assessed by EMS on scene. None were transported to hospital.

The Airdrie Fire Department reminds residents that carbon monoxide detectors save lives. They should be located on every floor and where people sleep, within 3-5 meters of sleeping quarters.

Initially, three pieces of apparatus and 12 firefighters attended the scene.

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

Contact us


Media relations

P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722