2015 Construction and business report
February 8, 2016 / For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA - Construction and business development in the City of Airdrie is holding steady according to 2015 reports.
“In 2015, despite challenging economics in the province, Airdrie stayed the course with new business entries in the local market,” says Kent Rupert, Economic Development Team Leader. “Business licenses are up 8 per cent from 3,325 in 2014 to 3,584 in 2015, and two new schools are good news for Airdrie’s young families.”
51 new commercial/industrial and 300 home-based businesses opened in 2015. In addition, 399 new full and part time jobs were created in the city in 2015.
Major new developments – estimated construction value*
- K-5 school, H. Lorimer, Kings Heights $12.6 million
- K-4 school, Coopers Crossing $8.9 million
- Save-On-Foods with interior Starbucks $8.8million
- Platinum Storage, Gateway, $6.8 million
- City of Airdrie Fire hall, Williamstown, $3.9 million
- Strip mall, 5 bays, Kings Heights, $2.9 million
- Carstar Autobody Shop, Gateway, $2.5 million
- Strip mall, 5 bays, Kingsview Market, $1.5 million
- Strip mall, 8 bays, The Village, $1.5 million
*Projects are in differing stages or approval and/or construction.
“In 2015, more diversity in housing choice was offered to Airdrie buyers as homebuilders chose to build less single family homes and more semi-detached homes,” says Pertti Harkonen, Building Inspections Team Leader. “The residential construction value was down by $1 million.”
1,419 residential permits were issued in 2015, 81 less than 2014. Out of the 1419 permits, 520 were single detached, 600 were semi-detached and 299 were low and medium density apartments. Total residential construction value was $289 in 2015; down slightly from $290 million in 2014.
247 commercial and industrial permits were issued in 2015, 32 less than 2014. Total commercial/industrial construction value was $71 million, down from $76 million in 2014.
Team Leader, Economic Development
403.948.8800 ext. 8738
P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722