March 6, 2017 - Natural gas leak
March 7, 2017/ For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Monday, March 6, at 1:43 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a natural gas leak located in the 400 block of Bayview Way SW.
When crews arrived on scene they determined that a 15mm natural gas line had been inadvertently damaged by a worker digging a trench with a hand shovel.
Firefighters quickly cordoned off the immediate area and began the evacuation of residents from five adjacent homes. All evacuations were completed without incident.
To support the safety of gas company workers, firefighters established a water supply and stood by until the flow of gas was under control.
Air quality readings were completed in the affected area and once deemed safe, all evacuees were contacted informed that they could return to their homes.
There were no injuries to report.
Four pieces of apparatus and thirteen firefighters were on scene.
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722
I want to...
- Apply for
- Complete my census
- Pay for
- Register or Sign up for
- Subscribe to
- AirdrieONE Sustainability Plan
- Business directory
- Bylaws & policies
- Community engagement
- Community events calendar
- Council info & meetings
- Council's strategic priorities
- Election Information
- Fees & rates
- Legal Land Description
- News releases
- Photo gallery
- Public notices
- Vision, mission & values