May 2, 2017/ Natural Gas Leak / AFD Response Details
May 3, 2017/ For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Tuesday, May 2 at 1:07 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of natural gas leak located in the 200 Block of Center Avenue NE.
Once crews arrived on scene they quickly determined that a work crew had inadvertently damaged a small diameter natural gas line while attempting to complete underground water service repairs.
In order to allow Atco Gas emergency response crews to safely complete their work, the immediate area was cordoned off to the public. As a precaution approximately eight residents from seven nearby homes were temporarily evacuated.
To support the safety of gas company workers, firefighters established a water supply and stood by with charged lines until the flow of product had been controlled. After approximately two hours of coordinated efforts the situation was brought under control.
Air quality readings were completed in the affected area and once deemed acceptable and safe, all evacuees were informed they could return to their homes.
There were no injuries to report.
Two pieces of fire apparatus and seven firefighters were on scene.
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722
I want to...
- Complete my census
- Apply for
- Pay for
- Register or Sign up for
- Subscribe to
- AirdrieONE Sustainability Plan
- Business directory
- Bylaws & policies
- Community engagement
- Community events calendar
- Council info & meetings
- Council's strategic priorities
- Election Information
- Fees & rates
- Legal Land Description
- News releases
- Photo gallery
- Public notices
- Vision, mission & values