June 24, 2017/ Structure Fire / AFD Response Details

June 26, 2017/ For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 12:31 a.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located on Reunion Terrace NW.

When fire crews arrived they found an attached wooden deck and fence at the rear of the two story residence fully involved in flames. The fire was quickly extending to the exterior siding of the home and threatened to enter into the interior through the eaves. However, the timely actions of firefighters ensured damage was limited to the deck, fence and exterior siding.

The Fire Prevention Bureau (FPB) has determined the cause of the fire to be careless disposal of smoking material.

In light of this incident and the numerous other fires caused by careless disposal of smoking materials this year in Airdrie, the Airdrie Fire Department and RCMP strongly urges the public to dispose of all smoking materials properly. They should never be placed into containers of plant material or thrown from windows of automobiles.

Recent fires in Airdrie have also included a grass fire which was started with the release of illegal fireworks.

“We urge everyone to be extremely careful and cautious where fire can be a result of our actions,” says Deputy Chief Garth Rabel. “Whether it is cigarettes, backyard fire pits or barbeque's, safe and proper practices are required every time.”

Preliminary damage of the Reunion Terrace fire is estimated to be $50,000.00.

No residents were home at the time of the fire and there are no injuries to report.

Four pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters were on scene.


Media contacts:
Garth Rabel                         Cst. Dan MARTIN
Deputy Chief                        Media Relations Officer/Community Resource Officer
Airdrie Fire Department         Airdrie RCMP
403.948.8800 ext.7612         403.945.7200 ext. 7201


Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612


Contact us

Media relations