Sept. 12, 2017/ Clothes Dryer Fire/ AFD Response Details
Sept. 13, 2017/ For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 12:56 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of smoke coming from a two story home located on Kingsland Way SE.
All occupants home at the time of the incident had safely evacuated to the street prior to the arrival of the fire department.
Firefighters entered the house and made their way to the basement level where they found a fire burning in an electric dryer located in the laundry room. The blaze was quickly extinguished and the area was ventilated to remove smoke.
Adjacent walls and cabinets were thoroughly checked with a Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC) to ensure that the fire had not extended. The area was further ventilated and air quality monitored for carbon monoxide. Once deemed safe residents were allowed to return home.
After investigation it was determined the fire was caused due to an overheated bearing inside the dryer igniting combustible clothing, lint and plastic.
Damage to the structure and contents was estimated at $2,500.00.
There were no injuries to report.
Five pieces of apparatus and thirteen firefighters were on scene.
Home appliances such as clothes dryers, furnaces and gas fireplaces require regular and ongoing inspection and service. Filters and lint traps must be regularly cleaned or replaced to ensure appliances run safely and efficiently.
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722
I want to...
- Complete my census
- Apply for
- Pay for
- Register or Sign up for
- Subscribe to
- AirdrieONE Sustainability Plan
- Business directory
- Bylaws & policies
- Community engagement
- Community events calendar
- Council info & meetings
- Council's strategic priorities
- Election Information
- Fees & rates
- Legal Land Description
- News releases
- Photo gallery
- Public notices
- Vision, mission & values