October 31, 2017/ Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

October 31, 2017/ For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Tuesday, October 31 at 8:32 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located on Arbor Crescent SE.

When fire crews arrived they found smoke on the upper and lower levels of a two story residential home. Residents home at the time of the incident were warned of the danger by a functioning smoke alarm and had safely evacuated to the street prior to the arrival of the fire department.

Firefighters quickly made their way to the lower level of the structure where they believed the fire began. Clothing, which had been inadvertently left too close a heating appliance, had started to smolder which then filled the lower level with smoke. Crews moved the scorched material outside and ventilated smoke from the home.

Air monitoring of the interior of the home was completed, and when deemed safe, the displaced residents were allowed to return.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be combustible material being located too close to a heating appliance.

Four pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters were on scene.

Safety Reminder
The Airdrie Fire Department would like to remind the public as we move toward the winter season and colder weather all heating appliances should be maintained and in good working order. Never store combustible materials too close to any heat source. As well, working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms save lives….please check the alarms in your home regularly.

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
(403)948.8800 ext.7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations

P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722