November 9, 2017/ Damaged Natural Gas Line / AFD Response Details
November 9, 2017/ For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Thursday, November 9 at 12:11 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a damaged natural gas line located in the #100 Block of Hillcrest Square S.W.
When fire crews arrived, they determined that a natural gas distribution main had been struck and ruptured by a contractor excavating post holes. The immediate area was quickly cordoned off and all workers on site were temporarily evacuated.
An ATCO emergency response crew attended the scene to mitigate the flow of product from the damaged line. After approximately two hours of coordinated efforts the situation was brought under control.
Air quality readings were completed in the affected area and workers were permitted to return to the worksite.
There were no injuries to report.
Three pieces of apparatus and 12 firefighters were on scene.
The Airdrie Fire Department would like to remind the public that to avoid hitting and damaging underground utilities, please contact Alberta One-Call 1-800-242-3447 or visit albertaonecall.com to have underground utilities located and marked.
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel