Feb. 4, 2018/ Carbon monoxide incident

Feb. 5, 2018/ For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 9:13 a.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded alongside Airdrie RCMP and Alberta Health Services to the report of a possible carbon monoxide (CO) incident in a large, four story apartment complex located at 700 Willowbrook Road.

As the Airdrie RCMP released at 6:30 p.m. on Feb 4, a 12 year old boy succumbed to his injuries yesterday following the incident.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the young man lost in this terrible tragedy,” says Mayor Peter Brown. “I urge you, if you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, go out and buy one today. And if you do have one, take a moment today to test it and ensure it working properly.”

The Fire Prevention Bureau, RCMP, ATCO and the City of Airdrie Building/Gas Inspectors continue to investigate the incident.

Airdrie Fire Department response details
As AFD personnel entered the building, personal gas monitors, which firefighters wear for their protection, activated warning that extremely high levels of carbon monoxide were present. Firefighters found and brought the young patient outside where they provided medical assistance until care could be transferred to AHS Paramedics.

Firefighters activated the complex’s alarm system and a full evacuation took place.
Evacuees were initially sheltered in the lobby of an adjacent apartment building until transportation arrived to relocate them to a temporary reception centre at Genesis Place.

Wearing self-contained breathing apparatus, fire crews methodically conducted a floor to floor search to determine the possible location and source of the deadly gas.

Upon entry into an apartment on the main floor of the building they found CO readings exceeding 2100 parts per million (PPM). This high level of CO posed an immediate and extreme health risk. All gas appliances in the apartment were shut down and with the source of the CO controlled, efforts turned to ventilating the building to remove all traces of remaining CO.

After approximately 8 hours of collaborative efforts, final air quality testing deemed that the area was once again safe for residents to return. When residents arrived they were met by the Airdrie Fire Department’s Public Education team and were gifted with a carbon monoxide detector to install in their home.

Public Service Message
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas often referred to as ‘The Silent Killer’ as it is invisible, silent and odourless.

The Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public that CO detectors save lives. A carbon monoxide detector should be located on every floor of the home and within 3-5 meters of sleeping quarters.

Further carbon monoxide safety information can be found at http://www.atcogas.com/Safety/CO/Carbon-Monoxide-Safety

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel, Airdrie Fire Department
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations

P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722