February 9, 2018/ Carbon Monoxide Incident/ AFD Response Details

February 9, 2018/ For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Friday, February 9 at 12:14 a.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a possible carbon monoxide (CO) incident in a large, four story apartment complex located at 700 Willowbrook Road.

When emergency crews arrived on scene they were informed by a resident that the carbon monoxide detector located inside her main level apartment had activated. Upon hearing the alarm she self- evacuated to the safety of the lobby area.

Firefighters entered the apartment and found elevated CO readings concentrated in the immediate area. The complex’s alarm system was activated by firefighters to warn other residents of a potential problem in their building. A full evacuation took place with evacuees being safely sheltered on site.

The gas supply in the apartment was isolated and ventilation efforts to clear the CO were initiated. The Fire Department, supported by a member of the ATCO Emergency Response Team, determined that the cause of this incident was the failure of the on-demand water heater to vent properly.

After approximately two and a half hours, the building’s air quality was deemed safe and residents were able to return to their apartments. Numerous residents were gifted by the Airdrie Fire Department with a carbon monoxide detector to install in their home.

Public service messages:

Specifically, owners of units in this building would be prudent to have their gas appliances and venting systems inspected.

It is important for everyone to have CO detectors in their home. A carbon monoxide detector should be located on every floor of the home where people sleep, within 3-5 meters of sleeping quarters.

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas often referred to as “The Silent Killer” because it is invisible, silent and odourless.

Further carbon monoxide safety information can be found at www.atcogas.com

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations