2018 Business Satisfaction Survey Results
May 7, 2018 / For Immediate Release
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – Airdrie is a good place to do business according to 86 per cent of respondents to the City of Airdrie’s 2018 Business Satisfaction Survey.
“The business satisfaction results show that Airdrie is a great place to do business,” says Stephen Utz, Community Growth Manager. “The quality of life, location and strong population growth that can be found here make it an ideal location to own and operate a business.”
“The online and phone survey was conducted by Banister Research Ltd. from February 5 to March 2. We received 631 responses, which is about 26 per cent of our Airdrie business community,” says Tara Levick, Economic Development Officer.
- 86 per cent of respondents said Airdrie is a “good,” “very good” or excellent” place to do business.
- Quality of life, location, community growth and access to customer bases were listed as the top benefits of doing business in Airdrie.
- Top challenges facing Airdrie businesses include the cost and availability of land, office, commercial and industrial space, cost of labour, cost of advertising, taxes and access to affordable childcare.
- 69 per cent of respondents said that when choosing a location for their business Airdrie was their first choice.
- 27 per cent of Airdrie businesses sell their goods or services online.
- Looking ahead, businesses are cautiously optimistic:
- 57 per cent expect demand for their products/services to grow over the next 12 months (up from 55 per cent in 2015)
- 33 per cent of industrial/commercial businesses expect to hire (down from 39 per cent in 2015) and 48 per cent expect to maintain staffing levels (down from 53 per cent in 2015) over the next 12 months
- 47 per cent of home-based businesses are interested in moving to a storefront location (up from 26 per cent in 2015)
“Airdrie Economic Development is extremely proud of Airdrie’s business community and its resiliency over the past few years.” says Levick, “By working with, and listening to our local business community, we are able to work at improving the business environment to make Airdrie the place of choice for businesses.”
Businesses were also asked to rate their satisfaction with City of Airdrie business-related services including overall customer service, permit and application processes clarity and processing times, and ease of access to information. 3.50-4.53 (out of 5) was the range of mean level of satisfaction for the eight city departments surveyed.
Six hundred and thirty one licensed Airdrie-based businesses (252 commercial/industrial and 379 home-based) completed the survey by web or telephone between February 5 and March 2, 2018. In 95 per cent of the cases, the business owner or primary manager completed the survey. The survey was conducted by Banister Research Ltd. and the results are accurate to ±3.4 per cent at the 95 per cent confidence level, (19 times out of 20) giving assurance the results are representative of the population group.
P. 403.948.8800 ext 8722