June 1, Kitchen Fire/ AFD Response Details

June 4, 2018/ For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Friday, June 1, at 9:10 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located in the 600 block of Windridge Road SW.

Fire crews arrived at the scene to find heavy smoke conditions on the main level of a two storey home.

A female occupant of the residence had safely evacuated to the street prior to the arrival of the fire department.

When crews entered the kitchen they found a pot of oil burning on the stovetop which had abruptly extended upwards into the hood fan and overhead kitchen cabinets. Firefighters used a portable extinguisher to quickly bring the blaze under control.

Firefighters thoroughly checked adjacent walls and ceiling with their Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC) to ensure that the fire had not extended. Air quality in the home was also monitored for carbon monoxide levels.

One female patient was assessed, treated and transported by AHS with minor smoke inhalation.

Firefighters located and removed two cats safely from the home.

The cause of the fire has been determined as oil being used for cooking igniting on the stove.

Preliminary damage estimates remain undetermined.

Four pieces of apparatus and thirteen firefighters were on scene.

Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message

Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home and the Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public of the importance of being attentive and safe while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. Keep a residential fire extinguisher easily accessible in the kitchen area. 

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

Contact us


Media relations