September 30, 2018/ Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Sunday, September 30 at 10:22 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located in the 300 Block of Mackenzie Way SE.

When fire crews arrived on scene they found heavy smoke on the third floor of the four-story apartment complex.

The complex fire alarm was activated which evacuated residents to the street. Temporarily displaced evacuees were housed on an Airdrie Transit bus which had been dispatched to the scene.

Upon entering an apartment on the third floor, firefighters found and extinguished a small blaze in an electric dryer located in the laundry room. The fire caused heavy smoke conditions throughout the apartment and the third floor common hallway.

Once the fire was extinguished, crews worked to ventilate smoke from the area. Air quality was monitored throughout the entire complex and once deemed safe, residents were allowed to return. There were no injuries to report.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire to be an electric clothes dryer overheating and igniting the clothing inside.

Preliminary smoke and fire damages have been estimated at $30,000.

Four pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene.

The Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public:
• Household appliances require regular maintenance
• Do not overload clothes dryers with articles of clothing
• Keep dryer vents clear of lint and debris
• Ensure dryers are vented properly
• Follow manufactures recommendations to ensure safe operation of household appliances

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

Contact us


Media relations