February 1, 2019 /Structure Fire /AFD Response Details
AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Friday, February 1, at 9:52 a.m. the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to the report of a structure fire located on Ashwood Green SE.
Fire crews arrived on scene to find heavy smoke conditions showing from the main floor of a small, single-story residential home.
A male occupant of the residence safely evacuated with his pet dog prior to AFD’s arrival. He advised crews that the fire was located in the kitchen area and that his two cats remained unaccounted for.
When firefighters entered the kitchen they encountered heavy smoke and heat from a fire burning on the stovetop. The blaze had abruptly extended upwards into the overhead cabinets and ceiling area.
Once the blaze was brought under control, firefighters used their Thermal Imaging Camera to determine if the fire had extended into adjacent walls and ceiling.
One cat was located and removed from the home in distress. Firefighters were able to revive the animal by administering oxygen with specialized equipment. The second cat could not be found.
Due to the significant damage caused by the fire, the home remains uninhabitable and residents will be temporarily displaced.
The Fire Prevention Bureau determined the fire was caused due to an open pot of oil boiling over and igniting on the stovetop.
Preliminary damage estimates remain undetermined. There were no injuries to report. Five pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene.
Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message:
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. The public is reminded of the importance of being attentive and safe while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. When cooking with oil it is advised that you use a proper appliance designed for deep frying. Ensure that you have residential fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in your kitchen.
- 30 -
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612