Feb. 13, 2019/ Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Wed., Feb. 13, 2019 at 11:08 a.m., the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to a report of the smell of smoke inside Airdrie City Hall located on Main Street SE.

Prior to AFD’s arrival, all occupants evacuated safely outside.

When fire crews entered the building they found a pungent, burn odour but no visible smoke or fire. A thorough search of the interior floors and exterior roof area was completed.

It was soon determined that the odour was caused by an overheated motor in one of the rooftop HVAC units. Power was isolated to the damaged unit and it will remain out of service until repairs can be completed.

Firefighters ventilated the building before completing air quality monitoring. After approximately two and a half hours, the area was deemed safe and city staff were able to return to their workplace.

There were no injuries to report.

Four pieces of fire apparatus and thirteen firefighters were on scene.

- 30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations