March 28, 2018/ Kitchen Fire / AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Thurs., Mar. 28, 2019 at 12:42 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to the report of a structure fire located on Sprucegrove Way SE.

Fire crews arrived at the scene to find smoke showing on the main floor of a two-storey residential home. Prior to AFD’s arrival, a lone female occupant collected the family pets and safely evacuated to the street.

Firefighters made their way into the kitchen area where they found combustible material smoldering on a stovetop. The smoldering debris was extinguished, collected and removed from the home.

Fans were used to ventilate the area and air quality was monitored to determine carbon monoxide levels. Due to the timely activation of the 9-1-1 system, damage to the home and contents was minimal. There were no injuries to report.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be ignition of combustible materials left on a stovetop which had accidently been turned on.

Four pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters were on scene.

Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message:
The Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public that kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. It is important to be attentive and safe while cooking and to never leave a stove or oven unattended when in use. Combustible materials must be kept clear of any heating surface. When leaving your home ensure all cooking appliances have been turned off.

- 30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

Contact us


Media relations