April 21, 2019/ Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Sun., April 21, 2019 at 1:20 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located in the 200 Block of Springs Place SE.

Upon arrival, fire crews found smoke coming from the main floor of a two-story, residential home. The home’s smoke alarm was activated and all residents safely evacuated prior to the arrival of the fire department.

The homeowner advised fire crews that the location of the fire was in the front, attached garage. Firefighters gained access to the garage and found heavier smoke conditions with a fire burning in a pile of combustible material.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the large garage door was opened to assist with ventilation of the area. Firefighters thoroughly checked adjacent walls and ceiling with their Thermal Imaging Camera to ensure that the fire had not extended. Air quality in the home was also monitored for carbon monoxide levels.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire to be an electrical fault in a wall receptacle, igniting nearby combustible materials.

Damages due to smoke and fire have been estimated at $10,000. There were no injuries to report.

Four pieces of apparatus and eleven firefighters were on scene.

-30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations