Sagewood Landing Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

For Immediate Release


AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 12:10p.m. Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located in the 300 Block of Sagewood Landing SW.

Upon arrival crews found that a fire had occurred on an exterior second level deck of a two storey home.

Neighbours initially discovered the blaze and contacted 911. Once they knew that help was on the way, they used their garden hose from a safe distance to apply water to the base of the fire.

Their timely and unselfish actions ensured that the blaze did not have the opportunity to grow and extend to the exterior siding of the house.

Firefighters fully extinguished the fire and confirmed no further extension had occurred.

The Fire Prevention Bureau (FPB) has determined the cause of the fire to be improper disposal of smoking material. Preliminary damage has been estimated at $5000.00

There were no injuries to report. Five pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene

The Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public that all smoking materials must be disposed of responsibly. They should never be placed in containers which may be combustible or in containers of plant material. Smoking materials should never be thrown from windows of automobiles.


Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
(403)948.8800 ext.7612


Contact us

Media relations