Thursday, May 30, 2019/ Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – Thursday, May 30 at 3:18 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located on Windford Drive SW.

Fire crews arrived on scene to find smoke showing from the main level of a small, two-storey residential home.

Smoke alarms in the home activated and a family of five safely evacuated to the street prior to the fire department arriving.

When firefighters entered the home they found that a wok containing cooking oil had overheated, ignited and abruptly extended upwards into the overhead microwave oven and cabinets.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze before using their Thermal Imaging Camera to determine if the fire had extended into the adjacent walls and ceiling.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the fire was caused due to oil being used for cooking igniting on the stovetop.

Damage is estimated at $20,000 to the structure and contents. There were no injuries to report. Four pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters were on scene.

- 30 -

Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message:

Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. The public is reminded of the importance of being attentive and safe while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. When cooking with oil it is advised that you use a proper appliance designed for deep frying. Ensure that you have residential fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in your kitchen.

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations