June 4, 2019/ Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Tues., June 4, 2019 at 9:22 a.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located on Cooperstown Place SW.

When fire crews arrived on scene they found neighbours with a garden hose battling a small fire on the front, attached deck of a two-storey residence. Firefighters quickly extinguished what remained of the fire before using a thermal imaging camera to confirm that heat and smoke had not extended into the interior of the home. They did find light smoke conditions throughout the home which was then ventilated and air quality monitoring completed.

Preliminary damage is estimated to be approximately $5,000. The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire to be improper disposal of smoking material.

There were no injuries to report. Five pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene.

Public Reminder
The Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public that all smoking materials must be disposed of properly. Clean, non-combustible ashtrays should always be available where people gather to smoke. Cigarettes butts should never be disposed in containers of plant material or thrown from windows of automobiles.

-30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations