July 5, 2019/ Structure Fire/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Friday, July 5 at 5:15 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to the report of a structure fire located on Silver Springs Way NW.

When fire crews arrived they found smoke showing from the main level of a two-storey residential home.

Two female occupants safely evacuated the residence prior to AFD’s arrival. When the fire initially ignited they escaped to the street and yelled out for assistance. Their cries for help were heard by a group of construction workers who were working nearby.

One worker proceeded to call 9-1-1 while another, armed with a portable fire extinguisher, entered the home in an attempt to extinguish the blaze.

He was able to temporarily hold the fire in check and rescue three dogs who remained in the home. Without his unselfish and timely assistance, the fire would have had the opportunity to quickly grow and spread, causing even greater damage.

When firefighters entered the home they determined that a pot of oil being used for cooking had overheated, ignited and abruptly extended upwards into the overhead microwave oven and cabinets.

The fire was completely extinguished and a portion of the ceiling directly above the stove was opened. Firefighters then used their thermal imaging camera to ensure that the fire had not spread.

The cause of the fire has been determined as a pot of oil being used for cooking igniting on the stovetop. Damage is estimated at $50,000 to the structure and contents.

There were no injuries to report. Four pieces of apparatus and fourteen firefighters were on scene.

Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message:
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. The public is reminded of the importance of being attentive and safe while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. When cooking with oil it is advised that you use a proper appliance designed for deep frying. Ensure that you have residential fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in your kitchen.

- 30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

Contact us


Media relations