January 8, 2020/ Building Evacuation/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Wed., Jan. 8, 2020 at 4:05 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a possible structure fire in the 100 Block of MacKenzie Way SW.

When fire crews arrived on scene they found alarm bells ringing in a four-storey, commercial/residential complex and all residents safely evacuated to the street.

Crews entered the building and found light smoke conditions in the hallway of the second floor. Residents remained safely outside until the cause of the smoke was confirmed.

After thoroughly searching each apartment, firefighters quickly determined that a cooking incident caused the smoke, activating the building's fire alarm system.

The affected residence and adjacent hallway was ventilated and the buildings alarm system was reset. After approximately one hour, the area was deemed safe and all residents were allowed to return to their homes and businesses.

There were no injuries reported. Four pieces of fire apparatus and twelve firefighters were on scene.

Public Safety Message:
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. It is important that you remain present and attentive while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. Ensure that smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors function properly. A readily accessible residential fire extinguisher in the kitchen area is recommended.

- 30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief, Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

Contact us


Media relations