May 3, 2020/ Kitchen Fire/ AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE ALBERTA – On Sunday, May 3 at 1 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire in the 200 block of Morningside Green SW.

Fire crews arrived on the scene of a small, two-storey residential home with no sign of fire but smoke showing on all levels.

Smoke alarms had activated and a female victim was found sitting on the roof of the front, attached garage, yelling for assistance.

Firefighters placed a ground ladder on the garage to assist the woman safely to the ground. Her care was transferred to AHS paramedics on scene. She was then transported in stable condition to the Airdrie Urgent Care Center for further assessment.

Once firefighters gained entry into the interior of the home they were met with light smoke conditions on the top two levels and with much heavier smoke in the lower level.

They located a fire burning on a stove top in the kitchen area of a lower level suite. The fire was quickly extinguished and the thermal imaging camera was used to ensure that the fire had not extended into adjacent ceiling or walls.

Fans were used to ventilate the area and air quality was monitored to determine carbon monoxide levels. Six pieces of apparatus and fifteen firefighters were on scene.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the fire was caused by an unattended pot of cooking oil igniting on the stovetop.

Damage to structure and contents has been estimated at $40,000.

Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message:
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. Be attentive and safe when cooking and never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. When cooking with oil it is advised that you use a proper appliance designed for deep frying. In the event an unexpected cooking incident occurs, ensure that you have an easily accessible residential fire extinguisher available.

- 30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations