Recycle Depot to reopen May 13
May 4, 2020 / For immediate release
AIRDRIE, AB – The City of Airdrie Waste and Recycling department will reopen the Recycle Depot with modified hours, procedures and programs May 13.
“To limit the spread of COVID-19, we’ve implemented several safety protocols for the reopening,” said Susan Grimm, Team Leader, Waste and Recycling Services. “We expect to see an influx of people when we reopen, so we hope people bear with us as we get everyone in and out safely.”
The following protocols will be in place when the Depot re-opens:
- Only five vehicles inside Recycle Depot at one time
- People will be flagged in when it’s their turn
- No vehicles bigger than a half tonne truck will be permitted – no trailers
- Only one person may exit each vehicle while inside the Depot gates
- All material needs to be sorted prior to entering to speed up the process
- Keep visit to a maximum of 10 minutes
- Once inside, please maintain physical distancing
- Operations staff will not physically assist at this time
Residents should visit www.airdrie.ca/recycledepot for maps showing where to park and wait for Depot access.
The Depot will be open Wednesday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Waste and Recycling Services would like to offer essential/front line workers and seniors an opportunity to use the Recycle Depot Thursdays from 9 – 10 a.m. We ask other residents to refrain from using the Depot at this time.
The following ‘high-touch’ programs that could transmit COVID-19 have been cancelled for the summer:
- Bike program
- Book shed
- Rain barrel sales (at the Depot)
- Garbage tag sales (these are available at Coop and Shoppers Drug Mart)
Because the Depot is currently closed, the Transfer Site is experiencing higher than average volume resulting in longer wait times. Waste and Recycling Services asks people to be patient and respectful to staff when visiting the Transfer Site.
“We saw line-ups of up to 50 cars the last couple Saturdays,” said Grimm. “The Transfer Site is open every day except Sunday, so we’d encourage people to come mid-day or during the week and they might see shorter wait times.”
From May 1 – Sept. 30 the Transfer Site is open Monday to Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Thursday from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. and closed Sunday.
Team Leader, Waste and Recycling Services
403.948.8800 ext. 6296