June 12, 2020/ Structure Fire / AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 6:13 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located in the 2000 Block of Morris Road SE.

Upon arrival, fire crews found a two-storey residential home fully engulfed in fire. The extreme heat and flames threatened to extend to an adjacent, neighbouring home.

All residents from the two homes involved evacuated safely to the street prior to the arrival of the Fire Department.

One adult male was assessed and treated for minor burns to his hands and feet by AHS paramedics on scene.

Firefighters initially launched an interior or offensive fire attack. Strong winds quickly worsened fire conditions forcing crews to switch tactics to an exterior defensive strategy to bring the fire under control.

An aerial ladder was used to deliver large amounts of water from an elevated position, while firefighters on the ground protected exposures with handlines.

To ensure the safety of responding crews, utilities, including gas and power, were temporarily shut off in the immediate area.

Six pieces of fire apparatus and fifteen firefighters were on scene.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire to be a barbeque located close to the rear of the home igniting the vinyl siding.

Damage has been estimated at $250,000 to the house of origin and $40,000 to the exposed residence.

Public Safety Message: The Airdrie Fire Department reminds the public to remain safe and attentive when using their barbeque. Ensure that the barbeque is located in a well-ventilated area, and a safe distance from combustible materials, windows and doors. Never leave a lit grill unattended. Barbeques should be cleaned and maintained on a regular basis.

- 30 -

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations