Oct. 7, 2020/ Structure Fire / AFD Response Details

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Oct. 7, 2020 at 6:29 p.m., the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire located at the Sierra Springs Co-op Store in #2700 block of Main Street.

Prior to the arrival of the fire department customers and staff had safely evacuated to the parking lot area.

Fire crews were informed that a small electrical fire had occurred in a display case located in meat department which a staff member had extinguished with a dry chemical extinguisher.

To ensure that the fire was fully extinguished, power to the unit was isolated and a back panel was removed to expose where the blaze had occurred.

Co-op management had a refrigeration technician attend the scene to assist with investigation efforts and make the necessary repairs.

Cause of the fire has been determined as a fault in the display case electrical wiring.

Damage has been estimated at $7500.00 to the display case and contents.

There were no injuries reported.

Four pieces of apparatus and twelve firefighters were on scene.

-30-

Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations