April 6, 2021/ Fire Cause Determined

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – The cause of the fire incident which occurred at the Motel 6 located on Gateway Drive on Sunday, April 4, 2021 has now been determined.

The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire was due to a pot containing cooking oil overheating and igniting on a stovetop.

The fire was quickly extinguished by the building overhead sprinkler system.

Damage to the structure and contents has been estimated at $50,000.

There were no injuries to report.

Airdrie Fire Department Public Safety Message:
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. The public is reminded of the importance of being attentive and safe while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use. When cooking with oil it is advised that you use a proper appliance designed for deep frying. Ensure that you have residential fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in your kitchen.

- 30 –


Media contact:
Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext. 7612

 

 

Contact us


Media relations