Likely a lot more than you think!
YES! the following items can go in your green cart:
- Food scraps
- Meat, fish, shellfish, bones
- Fruits and vegetables
- Bread, noodles, rice, beans, grains
- Eggshells, dairy products
- Jams, sauces, salad dressings, cooking oil
- Pastries, cookies, muffins, cakes
- Nuts, seeds, chips, popcorn
- Paper plates, napkins, paper towel
- Coffee filters, coffee grounds, tea bags
- Animal bedding made of organic or biodegradable materials,
- Pet fur, hair, feathers
- Pet waste, kitty litter
- Cotton balls, Popsicle sticks, toothpicks
- Leaf and yard waste
- Small plant branches less than 1.5cm in diameter and no longer than 1 meter
- Grass clippings
- Kleenex, facial tissue (Most bodily fluids (saliva, tears, mucus etc.) are acceptable. Put tissues with blood or chemicals and all cleaning wipes in the garbage).
For sod and soil, only fill the bin half full due to weight
Lid must be closed.
NO! The following items cannot go in your green cart:
- plastic bags (garbage bags, grocery store plastic bags)
- cardboard (Only soiled cardboard, for example Pizza Boxes, saturated with grease, cheese and oil are accepted)
- foam cups, containers and packaging
- plastic containers
- diapers/ baby wipes
- toilet paper with human waste of any kind (as it is a biohazard)
- noxious weeds (to prevent the spread of noxious weeds) Noxious Weeds Link
- q-tips (have a plastic coating)
- carcasses/wild game/entrails
- paper drink cups
Disposable paper coffee/drink cups go in your blue cart. Putting them in your green cart with your organics causes issues for our organics processor as the plastic liner does not break down during the composting process and compromises the final product. Disposable paper coffee/drink cups can be recycled in your blue cart.
There are few waxed cups out there, if you do come across a waxed cup they should be placed in the garbage as they are no longer able to process them in the organics and they are not accepted in the blue cart program.
Wondering about an item that isn't on either list above? Search the Where does it go? database for disposal options.
- Winter green cart tips (pdf)
- What Goes Where Reference Sheet (pdf)
- Quick Guide to Recycling (pdf)
- COVID-19 Waste Tips (pdf)
Waste & Recycling