October 5 – Carbon Monoxide (CO) Incident

October 6th, 2014/ For Immediate Release

AIRDRIE, ALBERTA – On Sunday, October 5, 2014 at 6:57 p.m. the Airdrie Fire Department responded to the report of carbon monoxide (CO) alarm located at #18 Easterbrook Place SE. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas often referred to as “The Silent Killer” because you cannot see it, touch it or smell it.

On arrival fire crews found that a residential CO detector had activated and that all residents of single family residential bi-level home had evacuated safely outside.

Firefighters completed initial air quality readings and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide on each floor of the residences. Highest readings of 218 parts per million (ppm) were found in the homes furnace area. Readings of 200 ppm may cause mild headache after 2-3 hours of exposure by an average, healthy adult.

On thorough investigation fire crews determined that the roof of the house was currently being repaired and shingled. A roof vent in place to support efficient ventilation had been obstructed by an improperly mounted weather cap. This blockage caused insufficient room to support proper air movement from the stack causing CO to be trapped and forced back inside the home.

Firefighters removed the weather cap allowing effective air movement which quickly improved interior air quality. Further air quality reading were taken and once they reached acceptable and safe levels residents were allowed to return to their home.

A properly functioning carbon monoxide detector was instrumental in ensuring a positive outcome from this incident. All families should ensure that they have a working carbon monoxide detector on every level of their home where people sleep.

There were no injuries to report.

Three pieces of apparatus and seven firefighters were on scene.

- 30 -

Media contact:

Deputy Chief Garth Rabel
403.948.8800 ext.7612

 

Contact us


Media relations