The City of Airdrie would like to congratulate the following who won the 2017 ECO Youth Award:
A.E. Bowers Elementary - Grade 4 Student Leadership Team
Our Lady Queen of Peace Elementary School - Grade 4 classes
Brooklynn Chadwick - Our Lady Queen of Peace Elementary School student
These students did a fantastic job on their projects. The City would also like to thank Fortis Alberta for their generous donation which enabled these students to take on projects they may have otherwise not been able to do.
Encouraging youth in environmental and conservation matters
The ECO Youth Awards provide youth recognition for their efforts on a wide range of environmental stewardship initiatives as well as to help youth implement or enhance projects and programs with an environmental focus. Youth may use a current project or propose a new environmental project or activity to enter the award competition.
The project may cover any environmental topic and may include but is not limited to: climate change, water, air, waste and recycling, soil, transportation, food, energy, etc.
Project proposals should include:
- A detailed explanation of the project and timeline for carrying out the project
- How the project will positively impact students’ academic experience, school, or community
- Explanation of student roles and learning outcomes
- Summary of the budget required for the project, overview of how funding will be spent and any additional funding sources
- Water management: water conservation or reuse, reducing water pollution, protecting Nose Creek / local wetlands, wastewater treatment, etc.
- Soil protection: identification and remediation of contaminated sites, protection from erosion / pollution, acidification, etc.
- Natural areas: Maintenance or improvement of green spaces and biodiversity.
- Energy management: energy planning, building design, renewable energy, insulation, heating efficiency, etc.
- Air: improving air quality, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, enforcement, etc.
- Waste management: waste collection, reuse, recycling, proper disposal etc.
- Local food: encouraging production of food in Airdrie and area, increasing resident's access to local food, serving in our restaurants, protecting agricultural land, etc.
Deadline: December 15, 2017
Submission: email@example.com OR by mail to 21 East Lake Hill, Airdrie, AB T4K2A3
For full award program details, see the ECO Youth Award guide in Documents. Feel free to contact the Education Coordinator to discuss your idea.
- 4D's Sustainability Magazine (Ralph McCall) (pdf)
- Ecole Edwards Report (pdf)
- Heloise Lorimer WE ECO Crew (pdf)
- Eco Youth Award 2017 (pdf)
- Why curbside recycling? (pdf)
- Quick Guide to Recycling (pdf)
Waste & Recycling