Access to public land

Does your home back onto a pathway, park or greenspace? Are you thinking of landscaping your yard and requiring access to a park, pathway or green space to do this work?

Follow the process outlined below before you begin work of any kind in and around these areas.

  1. Call the Parks department and advise staff what your intentions are.
  2. Complete the application for public land form.                                             Please note: 24 hours notice is required prior to commencing the work.
  3. A Parks crew leader will complete a pre-inspection by visiting the site and taking photos of the area before the project start date. This will ensure that the homeowner is not liable for the cost or responsibility of repairing existing damage if there are any areas already in need of repair.
  4. The crew leader will then complete a post-inspection, including photos of the requested access site as per the completion date on the application.  If an extension is needed contact the Parks department.
  5. If no new damage is noted, the process is complete. However, if there is any damage to the area as a result of the landscaping project as well as damage done by the landscapers or contractors accessing the area, these repairs will be at the homeowners' expense.                                                                              

Contact us


P. 403.948.8400

F. 403.948.8403