Developer Spotlight: Melcor
Melcor shaping much of where we live, work and shop
As a diversified real estate development and asset management company, Melcor has transformed sections of Airdrie from raw land to high-quality finished residential and commercial properties since the early 1990s. In Airdrie, Melcor has developed the commercial and industrial districts of Kingsview Market and Kings Heights Industrial. The residential communities of Stonegate, Kings Heights, Lanark Landing and Cobblestone Creek are master-planned communities also developed by the company.
Mathew Backhouse, Development Manager with Melcor, said he’s pleased to see the evolution of Kingsview Market over the years.
“It's not a quick game…but it's always great to drive through a site 5, 10, 15 years later and see businesses thriving and people enjoying the development,” he said.
Kingsview Market is mostly filled, with only one vacancy with an offer on the unit. There is one undeveloped 8-acre parcel on the west side of the site that Melcor is actively pre-leasing and aiming to develop.
Ruth Price, Project Coordinator for the land division, loves the synchronisation of the residential and commercial spaces.
“As the distance from Kings Heights and Lanark Landing is walkable from our Kingsview Market and Kings Heights Industrial areas, they are a great asset for everyone. It contributes to the whole ‘small town, big city’ kind of feel when you can walk or bike to where you want to shop.”
On the residential side, Price is thrilled to be offering new amenities and parks in Melcor’s residential communities, such as a pump track in Lanark Landing that will be completed this fall.
“The pump track is exciting to offer to the community,” said Price of the City’s first pump track, which is a paved track for bikes to use an up and down pumping motion to propel their bikes instead of pedalling.
For more information about Airdrie commercial and industrial real estate inquiries, please contact Airdrie Economic Development. More information about Kingsview Market leasing is available here.
Melcor’s History of Kingsview Market:
- Stripping and grading of the first phase occurred in 2006.
- Shoppers Drug Mart, Shell, RBC, Bow Valley Credit Union and Retail Unit CRU-B (1800 Market St) were part of Phase One of the commercial development.
- Melcor has since been building out and selling lots with one remaining eight-acre parcel on the west side of the site.
Melcor’s Residential Developments in Airdrie:
- Stonegate – a complete community of 160 acres.
- Kings Heights – a complete community of 514 acres.
- Lanark Landing – an active development of 164 acres.
- Cobblestone Creek – an active development of 156 acres with a grand opening planned for September 2022.
Story and photography by Britton Ledingham.