Here are a few ways the City reduces its water consumption:
- Created Standard Landscape Guidelines and Specifications for City of Airdrie Parks department and developers that include water conservation requirements.
- Use xeriscaping landscaping methods for road medians to eliminate the need for watering.
- Reduced irrigated landscaping in new greenspaces.
- Remotely monitor irrigation sites to ensure they are operating properly
Tip: If you see a City site where water is spraying or running onto the road, please contact the Parks Department at 403-948-8415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Installed four bulk water stations to provide water to mobile bulk water users
- Water Works Bylaw
- Requires use of low-flow plumbing fixtures in new builds
- Requires all residences to have water metres installed
- Does not allow once-through cooling equipment to be connected to City water
- Land Use Bylaw
- Encourages developers to use xeriscaping landscaping methods as part of required landscaping areas.
- Installed low-flow toilets in all City facilities
- Installed shower timers at Genesis Place
- Reuse water used for training and truck pump testing at Airdrie Fire Department Halls, resulting in up to 120,000 litres of water conservation in just a 15 minute training session!
- Reuse water then treat and test all water during operation at the Chinook Winds Spray Park.
- Improved leak detection and water system asset management equipment and processes in all City water lines
- Metered City irrigation sites to track water usage.
- Installed wireless rain sensors that turn off irrigation when it’s raining.
- Retrofitted properties built before 2015 with new water meters.
- Required new commercial and residential properties including green spaces to have a water meter. This allows the City and residents to review utility accounts, which helps identify higher than average consumption. Higher than average consumption might indicate a leak.
- Water Use Schedule Summary (pdf)
- Water Conservation CEP Plan (pdf)
- Odd address watering schedule (pdf)
- Even address watering schedule (pdf)