For their second summer Waste and Recycling Services will be recognizing residents for doing their part to keep Airdrie green and clean.
Waste and Recycling Services wants to thank residents for using their carts correctly, encourage proper waste sorting and educate residents on proper cart placement. This will all be done with the goal of reducing contamination and diverting waste to the landfill.
Throughout the summer, waste diversion assistants will do a visual assessment of blue and green carts and residents who have correctly placed and sorted their cart will receive a Cart Wizard sticker. Waste diversion assistants will also be available to answer questions and provide program information during their assessments.
In 2018, Waste and Recycling Services recognized residents for keeping Airdrie green and clean through the Cart Wizard program. Stickers were given to residents who placed their cart correctly and sorted their recycling and organics into the right cart.
Over 5000 carts were assessed during the program with 85% of organics carts and 44% of recycling carts receiving cart wizard stickers.
Contamination (things that don’t belong) can be costly.
Remember the following when sorting your waste, recycling and organics:
- Put all recyclables in your cart loose with the exception of stretchy plastics, like bags and film and shredded paper. Bundle stretchy plastics in one bag and put shredded paper in another.
- Separate materials before recycling. For example, take newspapers out of bags, paper out of boxes and cardboard flats out of plastic wrapping (think of the wrapping on a 24 pack of pop)
- Empty food in containers into your organics then rinse and recycle the container
*Tip: Save time by putting your containers through your dishwasher when doing a load of dishes
- Bring textiles, aerosols and electronics to the Recycle Depot, don’t put them in your garbage or recycling car
- Put the following in the garbage not your recycling cart:
- small plastics, like drink cup lids, straws, utensils and pop bottle caps
- mixed packaging, like padded envelopes, pet food bags and Pringles® cans
- crinkly packaging like granola bar wrappers and chip bags5 Recycle coffee cups (without lids)
- Cart wizard results (pdf)
- Why curbside recycling? (pdf)
- What Goes Where Reference Sheet (pdf)
- Quick Guide to Recycling (pdf)
Waste & Recycling