The City is working with ENMAX Energy and CBI Solar to install 3,880 solar modules on the roof of Genesis Place which will ultimately be Canada’s largest municipal rooftop solar system.
The solar system at Genesis Place will provide a source of renewable energy, while reducing overall electricity costs of Genesis Place by up to $80,000 annually. Once complete, the modules will power the facility’s scoreboard, heat the pool for swim meets and keep the lights on for art classes – all while reducing emissions by over 1,000 tonnes in the first year.
In April 2019 Council approved the addition of 240 modules on top of a double wing carport in the parking lot of Genesis Place; to provide visibility of the solar project to the public, provide some covered parking stalls, and to generate additional energy. The covered carport is anticipated to be completed in September 2019.
Rendering of future carport
- Canada’s Largest Municipal Rooftop Solar PV System
- 1.55 MW System Capacity
- 3,880 Solar Modules
- 1,590 MWh First Year Production which is equivalent to:
- Taking 275 cars off the road
- Planting over 21,000 trees
- Powering over 220 households
- Over $80,000 in annual electricity bill savings for the City of Airdrie