Eligibility to Vote
You are eligible to vote if you:
- are at least 18 years old;
- are a Canadian citizen; and
- your place of residence is located in the local jurisdiction where you are voting on election day (example: you reside in the City of Airdrie).
Voter Identification Requirements
Every elector who attends a voting station or applies for a special ballot must produce the following identification to be permitted to vote:
• One (1) piece of identification issued by a Canadian government, whether federal, provincial or local, or an agency of that government, that contains a photograph of the elector and his or her name, current address and age, OR
• Two (2) pieces of identification authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer that establish the elector’s name and current address, of which one piece of identification must also establish an elector’s age.
Remember to bring identification that shows both your name and current address. See the list of Authorized Identification (pdf).
Voting Time for Employees
According to section 58(1) of the Local Authorities Election Act, any employee who is eligible to vote has the right to three consecutive hours for voting while their voting station is open.
If the hours of an employee's employment do not allow for three consecutive hours, the employer shall allow the employee any additional time for voting in order to provide for the three consecutive hours. The additional time for voting is granted at the convenience of the employer.
No deduction in pay or any penalty will be imposed on an employee in order to provide the three consecutive hours to vote.
Example: if your normal workday begins at 2 p.m. you would not be eligible for paid time off since you had three hours prior to the start of your work day to vote; similarly, if your normal work day ends at 5 p.m., with voting stations closing at 8 p.m., you would have three uninterrupted hours in which to vote so you would not be eligible for paid time off.
A student is someone who:
attends an educational institution within or outside Alberta
temporarily rents accommodation for the purposes of attending an educational institution, and
normally lives at home with family who live in Alberta, and those family members will also be voting in the Alberta municipal election.
Airdrie Chamber of Commerce will be hosting a candidate forum on Tuesday, October 5th. More details will be available mid-September. Details will be found on the Airdrie Chamber of Commerce website. (Link)
You may apply for a Special Ballot, starting July 1, 2021, if you are unable to vote at an advance vote or at the voting station on Election Day because:
- of a physical disability;
- you are absent from the local jurisdiction (example: away from Airdrie) or
- you are an Election Officer.
Ballots will be mailed to voters after close of nominations after Monday, Sept. 20, 2021.
You can still vote even if you cannot make it to your voting station on Election Day. Advance voting is when you cast your ballot before the Election Day.
Genesis Place Advance Vote
- Saturday, Oct. 2 - 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 6 - Noon to 8 p.m.
Town and County Centre Advance Vote
- Saturday, Oct. 9 - 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 13 - Noon to 8 p.m.
If a voter is unable to vote in the usual manner or requires assistance at any time, please speak to an election worker at the voting station.
Voting stations will be set up in designated nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and similar facilities for the purpose of taking resident's votes. Contact us for more information.
Voting stations are open from 6:30 a.m. until 8 p.m. on Election Day (Monday, Oct. 18, 2021).
Voting station listings, maps and Find My Voting Station will be available in Summer 2021.
Electors will be required to vote at their designated voting station on Election Day (Monday, Oct. 18, 2021) and will open from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Election Day Voting Stations
- Genesis Place - 800 East Lake Blvd NE
- Town and County Centre - 275 Jensen Drive NE
- Ralph McCall School - 1505 1 Avenue SW
- Coopers Crossing School - 1050 Coopers Drive SW