If you believe that the City has been negligent in its maintenance of City facilities, roads, trees or sewers, which has caused bodily injury or damage to your property, you can file a claim against the City of Airdrie through Insurance and Risk Management (IRM).

We recommend you consult your insurance company or insurance representative for advice on how to deal with injury or damage first. Your insurance coverage may be more extensive than what you can recover from the City. If your insurer believes that the City was negligent, they may seek compensation against the City on your behalf.
The City only provides consideration of your claim if it is legally liable for your damage as determined by the handling adjuster.

Please understand that fraudulent claims cost all taxpayers, and for this reason, all fraudulant claims may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.


Typical claims process

The City has an obligation to provide services that meet a reasonable standard of care. Failure to meet these obligations may be considered negligence. An investigation by the City’s adjusters will determine the City’s legal liability for your loss by gathering information from you, the appropriate City department and/or any applicable legislation.

If it is determined that the City failed to meet the standard of reasonable care when the City knew or should have known of the state of disrepair, which resulted in your property damage or injury, the City’s adjuster will contact you in an effort to resolve the claim. If the City’s services were delivered with a reasonable standard of care the City will not be held legally liable and your claim would be denied.

Typically, property damage claims are completed within 90 days. Claims involving bodily injury could take longer depending on the seriousness of the injury and whether medical information is required to support your loss.

Reporting issues and complaints to other departments does not constitute submission of a claim to the City. Claims must be made in writing to the Insurance and Risk Management department as soon as possible using the Claim Submission Form. If unable to print please advise for a hard copy to be sent to you or it can be picked up at City Hall reception.


If your claim is denied

If records show that service levels and a reasonable standard of care were met, your claim will be denied. The City’s adjuster will outline the results of their investigation in a letter and provide you with supporting evidence that justifies the City’s denial.

If you still wish to pursue your claim after being denied compensation, your next option is to proceed with an Appeal.


Appealing a decision

To initiate an appeal, new evidence (ie. statements, documents, or photos) that was not available or provided during the claims process or claims of mishandling or misconduct must be provided. This information is submitted to a senior member of the IRM team and they will decide if the new information warrants an appeal.

If the appeal is deemed to have merit, it will be submitted to an Appeal Committee for their investigation and decision. This decision is final and cannot be appealed. If the appeal is denied and you wish to pursue your claim, your next steps would be your own insurance company if available, the Alberta Ombudsman or small claims court.

If you wish to appeal the decision, complete the Appeal Request Form within 30 days of receiving the City decision. In order for the appeal to be considered it should include information such as:

New Evidence

  • Additional statements, documents, photos that were not provided during the claim process.


  • Any statement or proof that documentation was not provided, interpreted correctly, or was altered by City staff


  • Itemized and dated documentation that lists information where it’s believed the Claims Adjuster/Administrator did not act in a professional or courteous manner
  • Statement providing information that would allow us to handle any mishandling:
    •  Specific words or statements made by the Claim’s Adjuster/Administrator during a recorded phone call.

Taking legal action against the city

If you believe that the City is liable for damages you have sustained then you may consider taking legal action against the City.

In order to commence legal action, you must issue a claim in the appropriate court office within two years of your date of loss. Any notice of your claim that you have provided to the City, including written notice required by law, is not sufficient to commence a claim in Court.

Some individuals may consider filing a complaint with the Alberta Ombudsman who will review fairness of the City decision. Visit Alberta Ombudsman for more information. 

The Alberta Small Claims Court may be an appropriate venue in which to bring your claim. The Small Claims Court may only determine actions for the recovery of $50,000 or less or for the return of personal property valued at $50,000 less. Visit Alberta Courts for more information.


Claims payments

If you are found to be liable or responsible for damage to City of Airdrie Assets, you may forward your payment via mail to:

The City of Airdrie
400 Main Street S
Airdrie, AB T4B 3C3

Please ensure that you reference your file number on your cheque. Please do not send cash in the mail.

You may also forward your payment electronically through our E-bill or credit card options. Some conditions apply.


Contact us

Insurance and Risk Management

P. 403.948.8831

F. 403.948.6567