Sewer backups

Most sewer back-ups occur when the sewer line is plugged or requires maintenance. Blockages can be caused by a number of problems; root invasion, grease build-up or pieces of debris that have been flushed down a drain.

As the property owner you are responsible for the privately owned section which is the portion of the sewer line located on your property between the building and the property line. Residents are responsible to ensure their wastewater flows freely to the City sanitary system. If you are experiencing a sewer back up in your residence visit Water Services for additional information.


If you wish to proceed with a claim for damages

Step One: Contact Your Insurance Representative
If your property was damaged due to a sewer back up, notify your insurance provider. Your own insurance policy may cover the costs of your damage.

If they believe the City to be legally liable, they will attempt to recover from the City.

Step Two: File your claim on time (Within 30 days)
You have 30 days from the date of your loss or damage to report your claim to the City of Airdrie for claims involving repair to roads, public places, or public works.

Step Three: Submit a Claims Form
Complete the online Claim Submission Form.


Contact us

Insurance and Risk Management

P. 403.948.8831

F. 403.948.6567