The City continues to recognize the importance of retaining its youth population, and being recognized as a youth-friendly community.
A youth engagement strategy is a coordinated approach to ensuring that local youth are engaged and participate in the community and have ownership in decisions that affect them. Meaningful youth engagement is crucial to sustaining a welcoming, resident focused, and socially sustainable city.
In 2017, the City updated the existing youth strategy through a series of engagement activities that provided multiple channels for youth and youth serving organizations to inform the 2019 - 2023 Youth Engagement Strategy Framework. This document builds on that engagement process and captures research and analysis and will inform the implementation of the plan alongside Airdrie’s broad range of youth-serving agencies and organizations.
Here are a few goals outlined in the Youth Engagement Strategy Framework, organized to support four foundational pillars (voice, connect, inform and engage).
- Publicize youth initiatives and successes in Airdrie
- Engage youth on timely issues and enhance youth representation on City initiatives and projects
- Build dialogue and collaboration between the City and youth-servicing agencies and organizations on youth issues in Airdrie
- Create channels for youth to connect with youth
- Expand the City's range of communication to youth
- Share information on City initiatives with community schools
- Develop more mentorship opportunities for Airdrie youth
- Develop resources to assist youth access to volunteer opportunities or gain paid employment