Airdrie has a flourishing home business sector. If you are thinking of starting a business from home, you're not alone—there are over 1,500 home businesses licenced in Airdrie!
Need help with your home-based business? Check out:
- The Business Link's Tips for Starting a Home-based Business
- Starting a Home-Based Business: A Manual for Success published by the Government of Canada and British Columbia
All businesses, including home-based, operating in Airdrie require a City of Airdrie business licence. Visit Business licences and permits for fees, FAQs and how to apply.
The City of Airdrie classifies home businesses in three general categories:
- Home Business, Limited
- Home Business, General
- Home Business, Major
Please review the following section carefully to determine what your business needs to operate from home.
A Home Business Development Permit is required for some home businesses.
- Use more than 35 per cent of your dwelling for business, including any interior storage?
- Have client/suppliers/others visiting the home for business purposes?
- Employ a person in your home?
- Receive deliveries to your home?
- Manufacture or make products in your home?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, you will need to tell us more about your Home Business.
See the Home Business checklist.
If you answered "no" to all of these questions, in all likelihood you will be considered to be Home Business, Limited. This type of business is limited to a desk and telephone/computer and does not have any warehousing of saleable goods or client contact in the home and requires only a City of Airdrie business license.
See the Limited Home Business checklist.
Your home business may require health approval from the Environmental Public Health Division of Alberta Health Services. Businesses requiring this include:
- Home-based food businesses
- Social care facilities
- Personal service facilities (i.e. hair salon, esthetic services, etc.)
It is your responsibility to arrange for this approval. For more information, visit Alberta Health Services.
Several types of businesses are required to be licenced and registered by the provincial government. For the most up-to-date information, visit:
- Service Alberta
- BizPal Business Permits and Licence information service - provides you with a list of the municipal, provincial and federal permits and licences required for your business.
Is your home business flourishing? Are you looking at taking it to the next level and expanding to a store-front? We want to help. Contact Airdrie Economic Development to discuss.