- Apply for a City of Airdrie Home Business Development Permit. Phone 403.948.8848 for more information. You will need:
- A non-refundable application fee
- Letter of authorization from registered landowner, if other than applicant
- A copy of the floor plan and a brief description of your business
- It is recommended that you discuss your home business plans with your neighbours.
Structural alterations to your residence for the purpose of operating a Home Business are not permitted. Please contact the Planning Department to discuss any proposed alterations to your home for business purposes.
If you will be producing food products or offering personal care services you will need to obtain health approval from Alberta Health Services.
Obtain a City of Airdrie Home Based business license ($100, renewable annually in January).
Contact Revenue Canada to determine if you require a business number, GST account or payroll account.
- Contact Service Alberta Corporate Registries to determine if you need to register your business/trade name and if you are going to formally operate your business as a sole proprietor, partnership or incorporate it. Visit Service Alberta or contact Airdrie Registry.
If you employ other people you may have to register your business with the Workers' Compensation Board.
If you will be accepting prepayment for services, you may require provincial licensing. Visit Service Alberta for more information.
For more information on Home Businesses, refer to Land Use Bylaw B-01/2016 Section 6.1 (118, 119).
If you move to a new residence in Airdrie or the nature of your home business changes please contact the City of Airdrie as your 'business type' may have changed.