Home Business Development Permit checklist

  • Apply for a City of Airdrie Home Business Development Permit. Phone 403.948.8848 for more information. You will need:
    • A non-refundable application fee
    • Letter of authorization from registered landowner, if other than applicant
    • A copy of the floor plan and a brief description of your business
  • It is recommended that you discuss your home business plans with your neighbours.
  • Structural alterations to your residence for the purpose of operating a Home Business are not permitted. Please contact the Planning Department to discuss any proposed alterations to your home for business purposes.

  • If you will be producing food products or offering personal care services you will need to obtain health approval from Alberta Health Services.

  • Obtain a City of Airdrie Home Based business license ($100, renewable annually in January).

  • Contact Revenue Canada to determine if you require a business number, GST account or payroll account.

  • Contact Service Alberta Corporate Registries to determine if you need to register your business/trade name and if you are going to formally operate your business as a sole proprietor, partnership or incorporate it. Visit Service Alberta or contact Airdrie Registry.
  • If you employ other people you may have to register your business with the Workers' Compensation Board.

  • If you will be accepting prepayment for services, you may require provincial licensing. Visit Service Alberta for more information.

For more information on Home Businesses, refer to Land Use Bylaw B-01/2016 Section 6.1 (118, 119).

If you move to a new residence in Airdrie or the nature of your home business changes please contact the City of Airdrie as your 'business type' may have changed.


Contact us