As winter approaches, the Airdrie Fire Department would like to remind everyone that ice on ponds and creeks may be tempting to play on, but playing on ice is very dangerous.
- Many factors can affect ice thickness and strength including:
- Fluctuating temperatures
- Depth and size of body of water
- Flowing water under the ice
- Chemicals like salt and silt from run-off found in storm ponds in the water including fluctuations in water levels
- Logs, rocks and docks in the water absorbing heat from the sun
The Airdrie Fire Department wants you to know that any of these factors can cause the ice to weaken and become dangerous. In order to stay safe, it is important to talk with your children about ice safety. It is also important to keep your pets on a leash when walking them near natural ice surfaces.
For more information please contact Airdrie Fire Department,
Public Education Division | 403.948.8880
Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant. Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect. Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged. Keep decorations away from windows and doors
Keep children and pets away from lit candles. Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet. Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop. If you smoke – be it cannabis or tobacco – consider smoking outside and only where it is permitted, and encourage friends or family who smoke to do the same. If you do smoke inside, use large, deep ashtrays. Be cautious when smoking on sofas and couches – a burning cigarette can smolder between the cushions of upholstered furniture and go unnoticed for hours. Do not discard of any smoking materials in garbage cans or vegetation such as mulch, planter boxes, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.
Christmas Tree Tips
Picking the tree
Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
Placing the tree
Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the base of the trunk. Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights. Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit. Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
Lighting the tree
Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect. Never use lit candles to decorate the tree. Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
Disposing of the tree
Get rid of the tree after Christmas or when it is dry. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home. Check with your local community to find a recycling program. Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer.
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home. Airdrie Fire Department would like to remind everyone to be attentive and safe while cooking. Below are some helpful tips that will help ensure your safety while preparing food.
- Never leave cooking unattended, stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food.
- If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the stove and remove the pot from the burner.
- Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when cooking.
- To prevent overheating and ignition of cooking oil, fry foods in a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer or skillet designed for a maximum temperature of
- Make sure to use dry oven mitts and potholders to prevent scalding or burns.
- Place hot foods and liquids in the centre of the table or toward the back of a counter and out of the reach of young children.
If you have a cooking fire:
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
Safety considerations for cooking with oil:
- Always stay in the kitchen when frying on the stovetop.
- Keep an eye on what you fry. If you see wisps of smoke or the oil smells, immediately turn off the burner and/or carefully remove the pan from the burner. Smoke is a danger sign that the oil is too hot.
- Heat the oil slowly to the temperature you need for frying or sautéing.
- Add food gently to the pot or pan so the oil does not splatter.
- Always cook with a lid beside your pan.
- If you have a fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the cover because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool for a long time. Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher on the fire.
- If the fire does not go out or you don’t feel comfortable sliding a lid over the pan, get everyone out of your home.
- Call the fire department from outside.
Source: National Fire Protection Association.
- Ice Safety (pdf)
- winter holiday safety tips (pdf)
- Home Fire Safety Reference Guide (pdf)
- Pet Rescue Program (pdf)
- Qualifications for Service Technicians - 2019 National Fire Code (Alberta Edition) (pdf)
Airdrie Fire Department Administration