Commercial, industrial, institutional & multi-family development

City plansPlanning to build a new commercial, industrial, institutional or multi-family building, alter an existing one or change the use or intensity of use of a building or property? You will need a building and development permit.

Once you have obtained your development permit from Planning, you can apply for a building and occupancy permit. Building Inspections will review your application, provide a plan review, issue your construction permits and provide inspections service through the course of construction to ensure your building is constructed to meet or exceed the Alberta Building Code and related regulations.

Contact us. We can help you avoid unnecessary surprises and ensure your project goes quickly and smoothly.

To apply for a commercial permit, complete the commercial permit application form and submit it to Building Inspections. A list of the permit application requirements has been provided in the commercial permit application checklist. Inspections are required during the course of construction.

Every business, occupation or trade that is carried on with the intention of making a profit within the City of Airdrie limits requires a business licence issued by the City of Airdrie. Apply online.

The cost of the required permits is set out in the permit fees bylaw.


Contact us

P. 403.948.8832

F. 403.948.8834


City Hall
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday