Planning to build a new commercial, industrial, institutional or multi-family building, alter an existing one or change the use or intensity of use of a building or property? You will need a building and development permit.
Once you have obtained your development permit from Planning, you can apply for a building and occupancy permit. Building Inspections will review your application, provide a plan review, issue your construction permits and provide inspections service through the course of construction to ensure your building is constructed to meet or exceed the Alberta Building Code and related regulations.
Contact us. We can help you avoid unnecessary surprises and ensure your project goes quickly and smoothly.
Every business, occupation or trade that is carried on with the intention of making a profit within the City of Airdrie limits requires a business licence issued by the City of Airdrie. Apply online.
The cost of the required permits is set out in the permit fees bylaw.
If you require assistance navigating the process to apply for your Commercial Permit, please contact Building Inspections at 403.948.8832.
- Alternative solution checklist for submissions (pdf)
- Call for an inspection checklist - Commercial (pdf)
- Classification of a building (pdf)
- Commercial permit process (pdf)
- Electrical patient care areas declaration (pdf)
- Electrical patient care guideline for required documentation (pdf)
- Fire alarm verification form (pdf)
- Fire suppression system test form (pdf)
- Full standata - fire alarm and fire suppression system (pdf)
- Guidelines for building classification and occupancy (pdf)
- Leasehold improvement requirements prior to base building having occupancy (pdf)
- NECB Project summary statement of compliance (pdf)
- Occupancy checklist (pdf)
- PDF Security permissions (pdf)
- Permission to start work (foundation only) (pdf)
- Professional schedules package (pdf)
- Revised drawings information (pdf)
- Tent guideline (pdf)
- Permit fees bylaw (pdf)